nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape jam anyone?

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@InfoAve.Net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape jam anyone?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:39:35 -0400

Del, check page 835, Joy of Cooking, (1980 Edition), not specific for
grapes, but needn't be. Very easy and they don't have to be pressed as
for jelly. A collander works fine to strain the cooked grapes to remove
the seeds and hulls, you want the pulp 'cause it facilitates the
thickening process. Conserve is also good, and I prefer it to jam. Be
careful and don't scorch the fruit. I use a double boiler rather than a
pan. It is easy to burn the fruit if you just use a pan, even tho' some
folks get by with a heat diffusing asbestos pad. Jelly is more
difficult--straining and bags, etc. Give it a rip, it is not
difficult. County agents usually have a recipe if you don't trust the
general directions of Joy of Cooking. Also as Nottke said, Certo
packages will guide you if you can't boil water w/o scorching it. Pectin
makes it look like a commercial product if you are peddling it.
I ain't that particular; sometimes I use it for pancake syrup or dip my
biscuits in it if it is too thin.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8 (Muscadine Area and a few Concords can survive here)