nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape jam anyone?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape jam anyone?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:02:50 -0400

Hello,

I have used the Victorio food strainer and the Italian made Gulliver strainer
and although both
claim to be for grapes, and the Victorio even has a special grape spiral,
neither are optimal for
grapes.

Victorio image;
http://www.wisementrading.com/canning/foodstrain.jpeg

Gulliver image;
http://www.wisementrading.com/canning/tomato_machine.jpeg

The problem is that grape seeds are like tiny rocks and jam against screens.
The Victorio's
grape spiral clogged on me. The spiral jammed with a grape seed plug, and
the juice in the
hopper could not even reach the screens the plug was so solid (try and get
that apart without a
mess).. The Gulliver works differently and there is only a single pass by
the strainer and is
less apt to jam, but the seeds are like stones against the screen. You are
in fear that you
would break it.

Possibly an expert can tell us if grape seeds grinding past a stainless steel
screen will give
the pulp/juice an off flavor from added tannin (I think) from the seeds. I
don't know about
this.

These devices work best with soft seeds like those found in tomatoes,
currants, and the like.
And if you want to use them for grapes you will need to stem the grapes, and
that can take hours
if you are doing a lot.

You can build a small grape press for under $20 that will work 200% better.

Jeff Summit's Cider Press
http://web.bham.ac.uk/GraftonG/cider/press1.htm

Save the food strainers for soft seeded fruit, applesauce (etc.). Trust me.

Later,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio