nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape jam anyone?

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: del stubbs <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape jam anyone?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

Del, you may want to use a Victorio Strainer or one of the similar
devices for separating skin and seeds from fruit flesh that were discussed
on the list a while back.

Otherwise, it should be perfectly straightforward jam production according
to the standard recipes with pectin. You can also get low-sugar pectin
(Pomona's?), a little trickier but feasible and gives better flavour to my
taste.

I have heard good things about Valiants but I would be interested in your
report about how they turn out in jam.

Is the reason why you can only grow Valiants coldhardiness or season
length?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada