nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Newtown/Albemarle Pippin

  • From: "Vintage Virginia Apples LLC" <fruit@vintagevirginiaapples.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Newtown/Albemarle Pippin
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:53:54 -0400

Nice comment, Dave....I wish you had my sprays and I had your loam....we
shall see. We need more calcium here I think, but my trees from your
scionwood look good and should fruit next year. I have about 25 trees in my
nursery from the scionwood you brought me last spring. They are looking
good. Most of my Pippins are from scionwood from Hickory Hollow and I have
a hundred or so on M-9 which should fruit next year. We lost about 20 or so
trees so far to the drought and I think I will replant with Bud-9s just to
see what they will do here. In Minnesota at the NAFEX meeting last week,
they were very high on B-9, but it may be better for northern than southern
climates. We shall see. What I don't have is standard rootstock and I may
just have to give that a try.
Cheers!
Charlotte

Charlotte Shelton