nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:59:48 -0500

Chris,
Yes, I'm aware of the NE183 project and have talked with several of the
principles, including Rob Crossweller and Duane Greene at U of Mass. Thanks
for the URL on the slides, though. I hadn't seen it.

BTW, about Pink Lady. I have done more research and found that it is a
variety that does best on the West Coast and in Southern regions. It may do
OK in the hot areas of PA. It has low chill requirements and is not
cold-hardy. If you are interested in purchasing a tree (it's self fruitful
according to literature), you can get one from Bay Laurel Nursery grafted on
to very M-111 or M-27. They are at www.baylaurelnursery.com or call
800-847-6473. The NE183 project has raved about Ginger Gold, and so have
others. I find the fruit to be bland tasting and watery. What say you all?
Doreen Howard