nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:45:19 -0400

Gord, and others who could be interested...
About Freedom, I grow it in my cool Quebec zone 4 climate. Here, it has
many qualities : very productive, very good looking, good and regular size,
and absolutely no problem. Taste is all right, although it can't compare
with some others like Lobo or Cortland which have a lot more zip. Juice is
also OK, but lacks a bit of sugar. All in all, an apple without defects,
but not very interesting... As Ed said in another message, it is rather
bland. I am pleased to have some, but I wouldn't plant more.

Talking about scab resistant varieties, my young "Belmac" tree is currently
ripening its first 5 specimens of the variety. It looks good. I should
harvest them soon. (Belmac is a 1996 canadian introduction, scab resistant,
Ottawa 521 x Spartan - O.521 is a scab resistant selection whose genealogy
contains Melba, Jonathan, Rome Beauty and M.Floribunda 821)

Claude

A 21:41 02.09.15 -0400, vous avez écrit :
>Hi Doreen. Freedom here are dimpled (not apple maggot fly), not pleasant
>looking bland yellow with reddish streaks and mealy. Flavour is bland. The
>only redeeming factor is that they are juicy and supposedly good juice
>apples.

Claude Jolicoeur
cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca
197 Aberdeen, Quebec, Canada, G1R 2C9