nafex - [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] New Apple Varieties
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:00:42 -0400

Doreen,
I don't know if you'd be interested in this, but there's an
ongoing "multidisplinary" regional trials of "new" apple
varieties. There's been a 1995 planting and 1999 planting.

The main web site is:
http://www.ne183.org/

I've specifically looked at the PA site (a slide presentation
that mainly looks at the 1995 planting with preliminary info
on 1999):
http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/ss_ne183/slide1.htm

I don't yet have personal growing experience with it, but Goldrush
seams to be the potential popular new scab resistant apple
here in PA. I think (from a commercial perspective) one
concern is its "rough" appearance. It is (I've been told
first hand and tasted the results) an incredible keeper.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6