nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Natures bounty; How God provides for his people by the fluffy one.

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Natures bounty; How God provides for his people by the fluffy one.
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:45:49 -0500

>===== Original Message From nafex@lists.ibiblio.org =====
>I have been told that woodchucks and groundhogs are different animals. I
>remember was more of a southern species and the other lives more in the
>north. Anyone know for sure?

Both are the same creature, Marmota monax. Also known as a 'whistle pig' in
some areas of North Carolina, or at least that's what some of my NC friends
called 'em.

Never saw one in my native east-central AL, until I was of driving age(16),
and never saw but a couple then - they'd set up housekeeping in the bank of
an
old railroad bed adjacent to a large kudzu patch. My buddies thought they
were otters, but I thought otherwise. We caught one of them in a trap - I'll
have to say it was a pretty mangy specimen, compared to most I've seen up
here
in KY & TN.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY