nafex - [NAFEX] Groundhogs

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Groundhogs
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 19:34:43 -0500

Groundhogs can be a really big problem in Tennessee. We had a garden down
in Hector's valley that was downhill from a big patch of blackberries, the
spot was notorious for groundhogs, and there was no way to get near their
burrows. One week they ate 50 lbs of cushaws, leaving only the seeds. I've
read that the mama groundhog digs a burrow for each of her children, then
moves the kiddies to the burrows, and comes around daily to let them nurse.
Thank goodness we never see groundhogs near our property, except one time
when our dog killed one on the far side of our neighbor's field. She weighs
45 lbs, and wore herself out shaking it to death. I have read about
southern boys calling up a couple of feists and digging out a woodchuck to
where the dogs could get at it, just to watch them fight. Once a little dog
of ours treed one, it was in the top of a little pine, but the dog would not
have had a chance. It probably weighed as much as she did. Donna