nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: [NAFEX]grafting ribes

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: [NAFEX]grafting ribes
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:56:06 EDT

I have grafted a number (more than 200) gooseberry on Josta. It works, but I no longer do it, they are often short lived (5 to 10 years) and they sucker a lot. The suckers then grow at a faster rate than the grafted plant. Cutting the suckers offat the root crown is little help and often exacerbates the problem. I have found that it is better to graft to a strong upright type of gooseberry (Glendale) to get the "tree" or a "leg" type gooseberry.

Ed
Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857