nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: [NAFEX]grafting ribes

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: [NAFEX]grafting ribes
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:36:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Ed,

I have had great luck with my jostas here in Ontario. The crop is large,
the berries are large, and very flavorful. I see no disease in my plants
at all.

Sorry to say, I do not know the variety as the plants were supplied by a
friend who does not recall the variety.

Taste is very subjective, so I dare not comment on it. But I find the
smell of black currants (Titania, etc.) to be invigorating, and we enjoy
black currant jelly, and tea.

We usually mix our currants when making jelly, and black currants are the
lowest percentage in the recipe, but what a wholesome smell they give a
jelly.

Don't all currants sucker? Isn't the removal of older canes (3-4 years)
and allowing younger more fruitful canes to grow the standard for pruining
currants in general?

I also note that on Crandall (buffalo currant) the berries on the weeping
canes are larger.

Later,
Tom

--