nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear ripeness (and apples again)

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear ripeness (and apples again)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:28:56 -0400

Chris------you have written.

> I had a question regarding European pears. What
> is the best way to judge when they should be picked?
>
> I know that they should be picked before they are fully
> "eating" ripe. Should they be picked as soon as the
> seeds turn brown?
>
> I also would appreciate any information/general rulles
> on how to judge when to pick apples.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Mauchline
> SE PA, zone 6

My response-------

Most all European pears (exception is the new Green Jade),
require post picking chill to properly mature. Or, when fruit
exhibit slight color changes, begin to test pressure (using your
thumb) near the stem. When there is a slight "give", pick all
the fruit, store at or near 35 degrees for 7 or more days. Then
you can remove them as needed, allow them to sit at room temps
for 2-4 days which allows them to ripen to peak flavor.
Years ago, I got a letter from an older NAFEX fellow who told
me that european types were very difficult to ripen due to varietal
quirks or requirements in post harvest handling. He said "Ed, if you live
long enough to
learn how to properly ripen 10 varieties, you'll be lucky". I'm still
working
on it!!!

Hope this helps.

Ed, Southern Indiana (zoned 6), almost heaven.