nafex - [NAFEX] Re; Ottawa 3 apple stock

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: "NAFEX-Greetings" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re; Ottawa 3 apple stock
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:20:35 -0400

Chris Mauchline has written-------------------------

I have a few trees on Ottawa 3.  The only issue I’ve had with Ottawa 3 is that
it doesn’t seem to transplant easily. I did have trouble with collar rot, but it seems that
I have that trouble on all the rootstocks I’ve tried (M26, Bud 9, Ottawa 3).
If you do decide use it, you may want to plant the rootstocks in their final placement (as
opposed to a nursery bed), and then field graft there.  I also can’t get it any more,
because as far as I know, Bear Creek was the only nursery I knew that carried it, and they
stopped carrying it before they went under.  I’m also beginning to believe I should have
planted everything on M9.  (Or raised Prickly Pear, for different reasons).

     My response-------

     We used Ottawa 3 here for many years with varied success (and failures).  Foremost is
what you've alluded to or it simply does not regenerate feeder roots quickly and transplanting
finished trees (and stool bed production) is can be difficult.
     My best success with it came from the use of it as an interstem on MM111.  However, even
here, it exhibits some problems, apparently with it sensativitiy to some (unknown-to-me) common
viruses.  When used with clean wood, the trees are freestanding, precocious (nearly equal to M9),
and very productive.
     A potentially better option is the use of Bud. 9, but tree size will be slightly larger and slightly less
precocious (as an interstem).

     Hope this helps.

Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, etc.

  • [NAFEX] Re; Ottawa 3 apple stock, Ed Fackler, 08/14/2002