nafex - Re: [NAFEX] duck weed

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] duck weed
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 20:46:10 +0000

I haven't worked with duckweed, but I've tried other common pond weeds as mulch/compost.
First, I was surprised that they smelled worse than you'd think for longer than you'd think. Not "get this vile loot out of here !" bad, but possibly offensive to finnicky neighbors in close quarters.
Second surprise was how long it took to decompose completely. I spread it, at most 3" deep, and for 5 (?) years after was finding little preserved pockets of it !
I'm in southern WI, and OM rots pretty good here, even w/o added N. Other than those, it's just another adequate OM source.

Tanis Cuff