nafex - [NAFEX] Potted Apple Culture

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Potted Apple Culture
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:55:58 -0400

Hello All,

I am hoping there is someone who knows a bit about potted apple culture out
there. This is my
first attempt at potting up an apple.

I have a Court Pendu Plat grafted on M7 rootstock in a 30 gallon utility tub.
The soil was a mix
between topsoil, peat moss and composted sheep manure. There are drainage
holes in the tub, then
broken crockery, covered by 3" of sand, covered by the soil mix.

I use a water meter (3 different places in pot) to check moisture before
watering.

However, the leaves are green, but curled like in a drought situation. They
stay this way even
after a deluge of rain. I know the soil is moist as I can feel it, and the
moisture meter tells
me the same. I have been careful not to over water.

Can anyone tell me what I am looking at? Is it drought, or something that
looks like drought?
Could this be incompatibility between scion and rootstock?

The tree was just transplanted to the pot this spring, it was grafted last
spring, but is not
putting on new growth this season.

Thanks,
Tom