nafex - [NAFEX] fruit-of-the-month clubs/self fruit education

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] fruit-of-the-month clubs/self fruit education
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:03:13 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know of such a thing?
I heard a referance to this idea a part of a joke on a
TV show.
It seems like that was the only part of the joke that
stuck in my head.
I try to look around my local farmers market and
International produce shops to
get an idea of different fruits a varieties, but as we
all know, unlees you live in
New York or LA, your choices may be limited.

The idea of quality fruit being sent to you each month
actually sounds like a
good consept (to me) on many different levels.
Especially for lesser known fruits or
or lesser known fruit varieties of common fruits. I am
frustrated by the fact that I
still have yet to taste a Hardy kiwi, Pawpaw,
Juneberry, Mulberry, and Goumi.
Not to mention the recomended varieties of Apples,
Pears, and Gooseberries.

I did a quick search on the net for this idea, and all
I found was a store
named Harry and David's that does this for $300/year.

I wonder if any small farms or co-ops do this kind of
thing.
This sounds like a wonderful value added service for
people who have a variety of
produce.

I also just read the very nice coverage of NAFEX in
Mother Earth News. Bravo for all involved!
I read with great interest about Tom and Jill Vorbecks
Applesource sampler.
I remember reading something about that before, but it
was nice to be reminded about it.
I think I will try to get a pack just to see what its
like. Does anyone else offer any
sampler packs of other fruits? Maybe Nafex could
compile a list of people that offer
sampler packs or just rare fruit? Because of this
group, it is easier find different
scions/rootsock/seeds, but
fruit to taste is still a problem.

Just a thought..