nafex - [NAFEX] elderberries

  • From: Bob and Winnie <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex list post <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] elderberries
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:49:53 -0600

About 5 or 6 years ago I purchased and planted about 50 each of blue and
black elderberries. I planted them in rows alternately and am now ready
to report that black elderberries are entirely unsuitable for my climate
and soil.
The blue elders are now bearing fruit and are from 4 to 7 ft tall, very
nice. The blacks are all suffering from water and heat stress, are a
third the size or smaller, and are bearing black spots on the leaves
like some kind of fungus or blight. In addition, the black elders are
quite vulnerable to late spring frosts that are common in my area; the
blues are not.
To sum it up, blue elderberries are great, black elderberries are lousy
and will soon be pulled up.

Bob, Z4, Utah