nafex - [NAFEX] RE: bagging apples with hand made rowcover bags.

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: bagging apples with hand made rowcover bags.
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:13:41 -0400

For about 5 seasons, we have used lightweight rowcover ("Reemay" type stuff)
of spun polypropylene. Made bags out of these, including drawstrings, hence
can cinch them around the stem. Can easily see through for color change of
ripening. Dries quick, does not degrade. Added advantage is that for
precious fruit, the drawstring can usually be looped around a spur, to
prevent ripe fruit from splatting on the ground. Works well for pears,
pawpaw, etc.
Our biggest problem is bluejays pecking the early red apples, such as Red
June, Wm. Pride and Redfree. Once into Liberty season, the pressure is much
less.

  • [NAFEX] RE: bagging apples with hand made rowcover bags., Moyer, Richard, 07/11/2002