nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Killing Trees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Killing Trees
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:04:03 -0700

It's not hard to breed fruit. Essentially all you need do is assemble
varieties in one place that do well for you. Get them into bearing and let
the bees make crosses. Then grow out seedlings and look for any that are an
improvement over the parents. If the seedlings take a very long time to
come into bearing, graft them to dwarf rootstocks or mature trees to get
them into bearing faster. This is the way Luther Burbank did it, and any
good NAFEX member should know how many varieties HE introduced.
This is an oversimplification, of course, but the point is that anyone
can come up with good new varieties - you don't have to have university
training or facilities to succeed. With Nanking cherry, you should be
able to grow seedlings about 2 feet apart in the row. Start pulling
seedlings as soon as they have borne fruit - most will have obvious flaws
and can be dug out as soon as they bear, if not sooner.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com