nafex - Re: [NAFEX] hope for grafts

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] hope for grafts
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:03:40 -0400

My grafts are all very slow this year, It is do to the cool weather. They take longer in cooler weather. I have had plenty of moisture all spring, but not over abundent. The grafts are taking twice or more as long with this weather.
I am still grafting dorment scion wood. It looks like we may get back into 70's and low 80's by week end. It has been in the 50's and 60's for a couple weeks.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.

Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:50:37 -0700

I have noticed the same thing.
I think some graft compatibility issue is at work.
This particular mating is not meant to work.
I notice that even if you wait and let them alone, they never seem to
grow particularly well.
In taking them apart and studying the graft area it looks like they do
not callus very well.
It amy be like different blood types in humans.
More study is needed in this area to be more definitive.
Sam

del stubbs wrote:

This year has been a good lesson in patience with grafts.....I have
about 15 apple grafts (12 varieties on 3 different rootstocks)I had
given up on several weeks ago, just start to show color after the last
rain. I have kept them all covered with white paper and well watered.
So my lesson this year is don't give up till the scion truly shrivels
up. Makes me wonder if there is something magic about rain or is it
just timing? Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary
files, plain text ONLY!
Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where