nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New everbearing strawberries

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New everbearing strawberries
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:19:40 -0500

The reason for the simultaneous blooms this year is that we have had no
spring. Winter hung on forever. We had about 7 to 10 days of really warm
weather (70's to hi 80's) at the beginning of May, and then it turned frigid
again. We had deep freezes from May 12 on to May 20. It spit snow after
the warm spell in early May. The rest of the time the days were in the 40's
and 50's. The trees, shrubs and everything else that blooms had a hard time
figuring out what was going on. The heat souped up carbohydrate production,
and then the sudden chill dampened it. Everything was ready to go, and
finally a few days ago, the weather warmed. Hence, everything bloomed.
But, I'm still waiting on the Korean lilacs and peonies! Normally, our
blooms are more sequential, at least they have been during the last 3
seasons I've lived in Wisconsin.
Doreen Howard