nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New everbearing strawberries

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New everbearing strawberries
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:31:35 -0500

Ginda,
I planted 25 Tristars last year and picked off the blossoms for about 8
weeks. Then I let the plants set fruit. I had a steady supply of berries
until Labor Day when it started to cool off. Tristar puts out runners like
crazy, too, and you will have more plants. My plants were vigorous at the 8
week point. and that is why I let them fruit. Since yours have not grown
much, I'd keep pulling off the flowers. We have had the same kind of
weather as you have, and my mature strawberry patch (Tristar, Ozark Beauty
and Tribute) have lots of flowers, but none have set fruit due to lack of
pollinators. Let's hope for warmer weather so we can get berries!
Doreen Howard
Wisconsin, Zone 4b