nafex - [NAFEX] grapes

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grapes
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:57:14 -0400

A couple of observations from my fourth-year Canadice grape vine:

It's finally going to bloom this year. Last year, it had one budded
tendril, but something ate it. This year most shoots have a budded
tendril, and expect at least a couple to bloom.

It must taste good. It is barely out, and the leaves are already
speckled with little holes. Curiously, the lower leaves have more
insect (I assume) damage than the upper ones. The only bugs I can find
are a couple of large aphids (I think) and one tiny caterpillar. I've
been killing them by hand.

Something killed the growing tip of the leading sprout. One day I
thought I might finally get the vine to grow all the way across the
arbor this summer, and the next day, there was no leader - it seemed to
have withered. Maybe something nipped the stem, or maybe it was cold or
disease damage. The line between dead and healthy tissue was very sharp
- no wilting or anything. Today I noticed that a whole leaf next to the
missing leader had disappeared. It was up pretty high, and there's no
trace, so I suspect deer.

Still, despite all these depredations, it's looking promising this year,
and I expect it to put on a lot of growth now that the weather has
warmed up.

Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6

  • [NAFEX] grapes, Ginda Fisher, 05/23/2002