nafex - Re: [NAFEX] asimina triloba hardiness

  • From: boyd manges <bmanges@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] asimina triloba hardiness
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 05:37:25 -0700 (PDT)

I've been very pleased with my 4 to 5 foot grafted
transplants from Nolin Nut nursery...the price is
pretty reasonable and they arrived with lots of
undamaged, delicate roots packed in compost. If they
survive (he claims 90% survival with weekly watering
for the first year) I'll save about 10 years over the
small grafts I've purchased in the past. Seems worth
the chance to me! I'm drooling over trying ixl and Pa
Golden before I retire. Both the pawpaws and
persimmons I bought are breaking bud nicely. As for
hardyness, If you can find a spot protected from the
wind that should help protect the big delicate leaves
as well as dessication damage in the winter.. I've
not been that impressed with tree tubes, but I use
hardware cloth cages to keep the snow from smashing
the little ones (not a problem with my new pair of
gorgeous trees!)

boyd manges z5, Northern Michigan