nafex - [NAFEX] Potted Culture? - Apple

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Potted Culture? - Apple
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:51:48 -0400

Hello,

Is there anyone on the list with experience with apples in potted culture? I
have a few
questions I would like to ask;

1) What is the optimal size for the container?

It has to be large enough for the tree, but small enough to move into an
unheated structure come
Fall. I also wonder if a deeper container is better than a larger shallow
container.

2) What is the optimal soil mix for the container? The tree will be in this
container for a
while, and starting with the proper soil mix would seem to be make or break.

3) Will apples grown in containers fruit at some point? Will this be the
average amount of time
till fruiting or longer?

Thank you.

Regards,