nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mites

  • From: "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@em.agr.ca>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mites
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:29:50 -0400

Hi everyone. I verified the following information with one of my technicians
(Kathy Vollans) who has greatly improved our IPM record and predator usage.
Kathy does all the scouting for the Genebank houses and until her arrival our
problems with mites were overwhelming. Regular spider mites (TSSM) can be
bright red particularly in the winter; it varies with temperature and food.
Predators are the same size as spider mites.

What you probably have in this situation are European red mites (Panonychus
ulmi). They are much larger than spider mites but are the same shape. They
retain the deep red colour all year. They are a major problem on apple trees.
Damage is not obvious at first so this means that by the time you actually
notice damage the infestation will be quite advanced. ERM's will respond to
biologicals (try Typhlodromus pyri or Amblyseius fallacis - we use this one)
but it takes longer. The same sprays that control spider mites will control
ERM.

A good website to check out:
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheets/treefruit/pests/erm80/eredmite.html

Good luck.

Margie

Margie Luffman
Curator, Canadian Clonal Genebank Program
Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Fax: 519-738-2929
E-mail:luffmanm@em.agr.ca

>>> deankreutzer@hotmail.com 05/14/02 11:13am >>>
Hi Rob,

They may be predator mites (a good thing), but I believe they are not any
larger than regular mites, just with the reddish color, they are a lot
easier to see.

Dean

_