nafex - [NAFEX] kiwi propagating

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] kiwi propagating
  • Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 19:54:06 +0000

I met another local hardy fruit grower, (both he and his fruit are hardy) who years back had purchased a bunch of varieties of Russian kiwis. A couple of them survived the test winter of minus 55F and bounced back to form huge bushes. He doesn't remember the variety. Anyway, he gave me some cuttings a month ago as starters. Wow! just put them in soil and they really get going. Self propagated faster than currants or grapes.
My question is that the little guys seem to be full of blooms (little white balls among the new leaves).
Both the supposedly male and female sticks show these, is that the way they are?
Should I painstakingly pick off these blooms to help the stem and leaf growth.....or just let nature take its course?
Mn. Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3