nafex - [NAFEX] Starkspur Winesap - planting info needed

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Starkspur Winesap - planting info needed
  • Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 00:16:33 -0400

I have just ordered 50 Starkspur Winesap from Starks. They are M7
rootstock (about 25' tree at maturity), spur-type that bears all over
the branches and 1/2" caliper plants.

I am in Chapel Hill NC, zone 7 in the Central Piedmont of NC. I was
wondering about three things:
1) What is the best exposure for these trees, S, N?
2) How close to large cedar trees can I plant them?
3) What will the optimum spacing be? Minimum distance between trees?
Other questions:
Will the root system need pruning before planting?
Should the root crown be planted flush with existing grade?
Ok to use plenty of cow manure in the soil mix?

Thanks for any feedback.

LL
--

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com