nafex - [nafex] Beating the dead horse (ATTENTION NAFEX BOARD)

  • From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Beating the dead horse (ATTENTION NAFEX BOARD)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:13:26 -0800

This Yahoogroups issue is obviously not going to die. Even though it is
difficult to
discern from a smattering of responses, there obviously is divided opinion on
what to
do. I think the issues have been clearly spelled out, so I will put it to
the NAFEX
Board of Directors to resolve the issue, since their input has always been
the final
word in my mind. (MOVE? POLL? etc)

This is not the first time someone has been outraged about characterstics of
the list
that had very little to do with the actual content. Several years ago one of
the major
contributors quit over the issue of making this list open to non-members of
NAFEX.
It was a loss to see him go, but everyone has to choose for themselves the
terms
under which they participate. Lon has indeed been a major contributor, and
his
departure in whatever form would be a loss. I hope in the strongest way that
he
continues with the list in whatever form it takes.

Although there was a time when I was willing (and did over the course of the
first few
years) forward thousands of messages individually to list members, but the
technology has progressed to the point where my participation is pretty
minor.
Miekal And and Tom Olenio have both offered suggestions in the past that when
implemented, improved the operation of the list. Most of what I offer
currently is
benign oversight, like not screening each message, not bouncing subscribers,
etc.,
even though the listowner has those options. That also includes not moving
the list
around willy-nilly. As corny as it might sound, the main thing I bring as an
administrator is keeping things free and open, but I am sure there are others
that
could continue that standard while improving service.

I don't have any illusions about the success of the list being conditional
upon my
involvement, and from the initial description it sounds like moving to
another site
might offer some advantages. I don't sense any axes to grind in moving to
the
university list mentioned in prior posts, and although I don't belong to any
of the
other lists mentioned, it sounds like the administration has been good.
Provided a
list can be maintained that is stable, has no cost, and answers to the NAFEX
board,
it might very well be worth trying.

I'm not taking my ball and going home; I'm not tossing in the ball and
stomping
away. I'll continue to stay regardless of who runs things. But I *am*
leaving it up to
the umpire (NAFEX board) to declare the field of play.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue. (For the next two weeks at least!)

Greg Miller

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.