nafex - [nafex] Re: Strawberries for clay

  • From: "woodard214" <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Strawberries for clay
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 08:33:11 -0000

I'm not sure this is going to be of much practical use but here goes
anyway.

I have read that the old, good-quality cultivar Senator Dunlap
performed relatively well on clay.

About 23 years ago I gave some Protem strawberry plants from a
Canadian prairie nursery, to friends at Dandelion intentional
community at Enterprise about 25 miles northwest of Kingston,
Ontario, which is on Lake Ontario at the eastern end.

They planted the Protems in their garden on heavy Moscow clay. A year
or two later I visited in season and sampled some of the Protems.
They were extremely sweet and very good; any possible criticism would
be that they tasted just a little too much like cotton candy.

I gathered that the yield was satisfactory and that they were easy to
grow.

My friends were fairly skilled organic gardeners, and that garden had
been established for at least 5 years. I imagine that soil condition
would be a large factor in a planting of strawberrries on clay.

I rather vaguely recall reading that Protem had been bred from
Senator Dunlap in Western Canada and released as an interim measure
pending the completion of the breeding program, but it became quite
popular with gardeners.

I have no idea whether Senator Dunlap or Protem are now available
either in the U.S. or Canada.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

--- In nafex@y..., "crmauch" <mauch1@a...> wrote:

> Strawberries:
> Thinking of ordering/planting strawberries. Since have clay/clay-
> loam soils was only considering Red Stele resistant varieties [I
have
> and have had serious issues around collar rot on apples].
>
> The (red stele resistant) varieties listed in catalog that Penn
State
> Ag Extension also lists are:
> Earliglow (Early)
> Annapolis (Early)
> Northeaster (Early)
> Cavendish (Early-Mid)
> Sparkle (late)
>
> I haven't been able to determine season or resistance of Surecrop
>
> Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.
>
> Chris Mauchline
> SE PA, zone 6

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.