nafex - [nafex] Re: Lost Posts (Strawberries and scion wood) or Yet another reason to leave Yahoo.

  • From: "barefootboy47" <heathheath@webtv.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Lost Posts (Strawberries and scion wood) or Yet another reason to leave Yahoo.
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:51:09 -0000

--- In nafex@y..., "crmauch" <mauch1@a...> wrote:
> Yesterday I posted two questions, one regarding strawberries and one
> re: scionwood. Neither have appeared in the message on Yahoo.
>
> To reiterate:
>
> Scionwood:
> I found some scionwood had been misplaces and left in garage
> (currently hitting temps in 90s). Cambium still green. Is it
> worthwhile attempting to graft?
>
> Strawberries:
> Thinking of ordering/planting strawberries.
.........Since getting just about the earliest planting start you can in
spring is so important, it ight be worth your expediting the decision about
variety, and the ordering, if you want to plant some this spring.

Since have clay/clay-
> loam soils was only considering Red Stele resistant varieties

....or as an alternative approach, you might browse catalogs or other
write-ups and see if youi can find comments like "good in heavy soils" , or
"especially tolerant of wet conditions".
I believe I've seen comments very like these in one or more nursery catalogs.
General ability handling such conditions might imply capability to handle
some of the other wet soil ailments, which might best be allowed for along
with red stele. Maybe whatever makes a strawberry able to handle one wet
soil disease might might tend to resistance to other diseases of the same
conditions.
Maybe I can find the source of the quotes mentioned and the varieites
involved; what comes to mind therein is: Redchief and Midway,but I'm not sure
without checking.

> The (red stele resistant) varieties listed in catalog that Penn State
> Ag Extension also lists are:
> Earliglow (Early)
> Annapolis (Early)
> Northeaster (Early)
> Cavendish (Early-Mid)
> Sparkle (late)

>I haven't tried any of these, but have been very impressed in accounts I've
>read about Cavendish, and also Annapolis and Northeaster.

I _have_ tried two varieties in wet high-clay soils --Tribute and Tristar
day neutrals, which happen to have lots of Red Stele resistance, and probably
other related resistances. Since they did quite well, I think I can vouch
for them as perhaps good wet-soil varieties.

> Interesting factoid: From my reading all strawberries produce fruit
> 30 days after flowering. The seasonality is determined by when bloom
> occurs.

......Just a hunch, here on my part, but--Are you thinking of planting
strawberries"out of season" along the lines of one of the new
strategies nurseries and some others say they have developed? (and you're
anticipating using the 30-day blossom-to-berry "rule"
to estimate when ripening and picking wouild start?)
>From what I "hear," there may be a lot of hype involved in these alternative
>methods and their promotion, especially when they are aimed at home
>gardeners rather than commercial growers. Commercial growers using (or
>trying out) these non-traditional planting times and methods, may be far
>better to meet exacting requirements that go along with them, than the
>gardener or small grower.
I've formed the general conclusion that these exotic planting systems (except
on a very limited trial basis, or if a commercial grower, or if in certain
California areas and climates) can be big trouble.

bfboy (Eric I).

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.