nafex - Re: [nafex] Umbrella Training - Apples

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umbrella Training - Apples
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:59:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Somewhere in all the information I read in the past few days, I am sure I
read that you should start a secondary, weaker leader, before taking out
the main leader.

This goes back again to hormones travelling down from the leader,
suppressing other leaders.

If memory serves, the weaker secondary leader would continue to send
hormones downward, and control (somewhat) upward growth.

I will try to find that again, and see if it indicates how to get a weaker
(less vigorous) leader going.

Later,
Tom

--

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Phil Norris wrote:

> Dear Tom,
>
> I just consulted my copy of The Royal Horticultural Society's Pruning
> and Training book and in the section on espalier I found something very
> similar to the desired shape you were describing and it seems that your
> three lateral branches would be admirably suited to the umbrella shape.
> Go ahead and cut that central leader right out. The book shows that
> apple trees can be trained to almost any shape imaginable, cordons and
> step-overs and fans. The tree will certainly try to revert to its
> natural habit but I have no doubt that you'll be able to keep after it
> and give it the required amount of attention.
>
> Phil Norris
> East Blue Hill Maine

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> [250x300_bluechair.jpgalt=Click Here!]

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM