nafex - [nafex] Umbrella Training Chuckle

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Umbrella Training Chuckle
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:03:00 -0400

Hi All,

Found this amusing and thought I would share it. This is
what Silas McDowell of Franklin, N. C., had to say in June
1858 regarding the height at which the umbrella training
should start on an apple tree;

<snip>
"As regards the proper distance from the ground that an
Apple-tree should throw out its horizontal branches and form
its top, orchardists differ. Our own experience satisfies
us, that the height should be sufficient to admit of a horse
and plow passing under without the top of the hames raking
the branches, or your plow-boys' heads getting tangled in
them; else, if you chance to be hard by and unobserved, you
may hear certain interjectory expletives that may raise a
fear that you are not bringing up your boys the way they
should go."
<snip>

Made me chuckle.

All ribes have broken dormancy, along with my roses in
Canadian hardiness zone 6a (similar to northern
Massachusetts).

Later,
Tom

--