nafex - [nafex] Umbrella Training - Apples

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Umbrella Training - Apples
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:57:03 -0700

Hello All,

I have grafted a family favorite apple on an unknown rootstock and I an
not sure how big the tree will become. To keep the tree manageable I am
thinking of using the old "umbrella" style of training instead of the
"central leader. I would like your opinions.

Let me describe the tree for you:

I will guess the rootstock was 2-4 years old, and the trunk was about
3/4" in diameter when I bark grafted the scion last spring. The graft
has gone very well, better than any of the others I did last spring with
M7 rootstock. The tree is now 72" tall, with it's first three scaffold
branches at 40", 41" and 42". They are equally spaced around the tree,
being very symmetrical. The angle of the branches to the trunk is about
45 degrees. The three branches average 24" in length.

The tree was moved to a raised bed with very good soil this week.

I now need to start training the branches to have angles of less than 45
degrees, and need to decide on a training style. The tree is vigorous,
and I have no idea of size control from an unknown rootstock.
Therefore, I am leaning to using the three scaffold branches it has,
eliminate the central leader, and training the tree to umbrella shape.

I would appreciate opinions. My goal is to dwarf this tree through
proper training and pruning.

Thank you for your input,
Tom

Buy Stock for $4