nafex - Re: [nafex] Biological pest control

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Biological pest control
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:06:35 -0500

Victor Patterson wrote:

> Joe:
> I would also like an effective nontoxic control of curculio, at what
> stage in the life cycle is S. riobravis used?

No information available. Sorry. Other sites list nematodes as most
effective against larval stages as they are repelled by compounds in
beetle feces. Nematodes can still enter adults via the breathing ports
(spiracles) but must somehow pole vault up to them.

Reading between the lines, I suspect curculio most vulnerable when
larvae leave fruit and drop to ground to pupate(sp?). One problem with
S. riobravis is that it likes it *very* warm. The smart money would
probably use a mix of several types of nematodes. You are still out of
luck regarding adult curculio that migrate in from wild trees or
neighboring lots.

>Is your information from
> published studies or ongoing research?

Ooops. My "research" is reviewing internet content. "Research" is
really too grand of a word. As an aside, this is a detour I took while
helping my sixth grader search for a science fair project.
Bioluminescence in target pests due to Heterorhabditidae bacteriophora
is the leading contender for the project.

Unfortunately, the site listed in the original post
http://www.agrobiologicals.com/scope.html
does not use straight HTML so you cannot drill through the site by
listing a simple address.

-Click Pest Control - Other
-Target Pest
-Scroll down to Curculionidae
-Curculio spp. listed under subcatagories/S. riobravis listed under
Target Pest section

The site simply lists Curculio ssp

Good luck!

--