nafex - Re: [nafex] raspberry sources?

  • From: "Betty Mayfield" <bmayfield@columbia-center.org>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] raspberry sources?
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:37:48 -0800

This thread, which started as a question on raspberry sources, has also
touched on varieties and their attributes such as flavor, thorns, and
fall-bearing.

To my mind, flavor is far and away the most important. I live in a house
built in 1910 and much of the planting, both edible and non-edible, dates
to an early time. The raspberries, which have a superb flavor, I believe
are Cuthbert, once praised highly in garden books and nursery catalogs. But
it doesn't get a mention in the Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory, Third
Edition, which came out last year. However, it is in the germplasm
repository at Corvallis. Their web page says that it was developed in 1865
in New York, so it is not limited to Pacific Northwest conditions.

>From a collection of old books I saw this description in the Sunset
Western Garden Book (1954). "This variety has the 'original' raspberry
flavor--the just-right blend of sugar and acid that the raspberry taster
expects to find. All raspberry flavors are compared to it. It is being
crowded out by types with improved hardiness and vigor."

It's true that it is a single season berry, but after enjoying it fresh,
one can make delicious freezer jam to spread on waffles to brighten winter
mornings.

Betty Mayfield
Northwest Oregon

At 08:05 PM 2/14/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I have finally decided to break down and buy some red raspberries (a real
>concession, because as a proper NAFEXer should, I have gotten most of my
>stock free or swapped for it. Now and then I actually spend money though).
>I have found websites for Pense, Indiana Berry, Winfrey, and I've read there
>is a Nourse company. I have been very pleased at the prices, somehow I
>always seemed to have seen raspberry plants in general nursery catalogs at
>horrific prices like $16 for 3. Can you all tell me if you have had good or
>bad experiences with these companies, or is there a better source? In
>general, I prefer to buy nursery stock from this side of the Rockies.
> I've taken notes from the many comments on varieties and flavor, but
>more would also be welcome. I'd not been interested in raspberries because
>the only gardener I knew who grew them must have been growing "Dorman",
>listed as only "fair" flavor. (We don't generally have access to farmers
>markets here, this place is exactly backward enough to have neither old
>fashioned farmers markets, nor trendy new ones. They've finally built a
>place for the trendy new type for next summer. Maybe I;ll have a bumper
>crop and be forced to set up there.) I've tasted some at Hectors since that
>were excellent. Thanks all. Donna Tenn, zone 6 in the 1980's, zone 7
>in the 1990's

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM