nafex - [nafex] Raspberry Sources

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Raspberry Sources
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:41:59 -0500

Donna:

After trying Taylor, Latham, Heritage, and Hilton, I had just about
given up on growing red raspberries, due to poor productivity, quality
problems (molds, crumbly berries), and lack of vigor. At the
recommendation of a West Coast Nafexer (now I can't remember who it
was), I planted a berry called Baba or Bababerry, and am now producing
major amounts of excellent raspberries. Baba is originally a California
berry, but is doing just great for me in humid, disease-ridden Northern
Virginia. It bears continuously from July through October. Really. On
first-year canes. I think the Baba flavor is just great, even allowing
for the fact that this is a subjective judgment.

Oddly, few nurseries carry it, and no midwestern or eastern nurseries
that I know of. I have ordered from Indiana Berry & Plant (But what's
this business of selling all those banners and blowup figures?) and I
think they are fine, but they don't carry Baba. I am cleaning up my
berry beds this week, and would be happy to send you a half-dozen plants
or so, and you can't beat my prices. Basically, I sell for nothing
other than postage. I know that viruses are always a consideration with
raspberries, but, I must say, my plants look healthy as horses, and have
shown no signs of wilts or viruses of any kind. If you want to try
Baba, e-mail me off the board.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM