nafex - Re: [nafex] Raspberry Sources

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Raspberry Sources
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:46:04 -0500

Sam Franc kindly mailed me a bababerry last year. Unfortunately, it
didn't survive, so I can't comment on the taste. (I don't think I was
careful enough about keeping it out of the sun - he just threw it in
with some other stuff, and it was the last thing I planted.) The
references I've seen rate it for zone 7, so if the weather shifts back,
you might have trouble with it. On the other hand - July through
October - go for it.

My Fall reds start in late July and end in November, but they take a
month or so off in the middle, and are pretty sparse towards the end.

Ginda Fisher

Sam Franc wrote:

> I second the vote for Baba.
> I have been growing it for 10 years or more.
> It outproduces all the other varieties.
> An the size and taste are outstanding.
> It does not mildew like heritage and some of the others.
> I guess because it is firmer. I don't know.
> Take Don up on his offer. You won't regret it.
> The only bad thing about Baba is it multiplies so rapidly you have a
> hard time keeping it under control.
> Sam
>
> Don Yellman wrote:
>
> > Donna:
> >
> > After trying Taylor, Latham, Heritage, and Hilton, I had just about
> >
> > given up on growing red raspberries, due to poor productivity,
> > quality
> > problems (molds, crumbly berries), and lack of vigor. At the
> > recommendation of a West Coast Nafexer (now I can't remember who it
> > was), I planted a berry called Baba or Bababerry, and am now producing
> >
> > major amounts of excellent raspberries. Baba is originally a
> > California
> > berry, but is doing just great for me in humid, disease-ridden
> > Northern
> > Virginia. It bears continuously from July through October. Really.
> > On
> > first-year canes. I think the Baba flavor is just great, even
> > allowing
> > for the fact that this is a subjective judgment.
> >
> > Oddly, few nurseries carry it, and no midwestern or eastern
> > nurseries
> > that I know of. I have ordered from Indiana Berry & Plant (But what's
> >
> > this business of selling all those banners and blowup figures?) and I
> > think they are fine, but they don't carry Baba. I am cleaning up my
> > berry beds this week, and would be happy to send you a half-dozen
> > plants
> > or so, and you can't beat my prices. Basically, I sell for nothing
> > other than postage. I know that viruses are always a consideration
> > with
> > raspberries, but, I must say, my plants look healthy as horses, and
> > have
> > shown no signs of wilts or viruses of any kind. If you want to try
> > Baba, e-mail me off the board.
> >
> > Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM