nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Crataegus fruits

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Crataegus fruits
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:58:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Butters (apple butter) keeps very, very well. If you made a 5 gallon pail
you could eat it all winter just keeping it cool. Even if it did develop
mold on top just sccop it off and it is good as new.

That is what the butters were used for "preserving" fruit through the
winter.

Later,
Tom

--

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 redherring@tnaccess.com wrote:

> Yes, I bought some haw fruit leather sticks at an oriental grocery, and
> the
> flavor is nice. I don't do jelly either, so unless I can find some other
> use for a fruit, I won't bother with it. I expect you can make a
> "butter"
> rather than a jelly, to me that's a lot more flavor and far less sugar,
> plus
> it's worth spooning some into some kind of dessert for flavoring. I've
> made
> plenty of apple butter from dolgo crabapples, just pick (this is where
> the
> small size can be a bit much, in fact, this is why women were invented,
> because they are patient when it somes to tedious work like picking up
> 2-3
> gallons of dolgos), slosh in a bucket to wash, cook with minimum water,
> sieve, add half as much water, maybe some spice, and cook them down a
> bit.
> Chris Inhulsen's complaint about mayhaws was that they get a rust,
> and
> he said if they have to be sprayed, they aren;t worth it. He sprays his
> garden, but as a minor fruit, as especially as a fruit native to the
> south
> (he's in GA), he expects mayhaws to be carefree. I have a few mayhaws up
> here in Tennessee, and though they haven't fruited yet, they don't seem
> get foliage diseases.
> Now that Lucky mentions it, none of my cherry haws from Richard Fahey
> came up. I thought they sounded like a really good idea. I spent 3
> years
> in England, and hawthorns are so lovely in bloom, in shape, and in fruit,
> that I have wanted to grow some, but they have a reputation for disease.
> Mayhaws are what I bought, and they do look pretty in bloom. I hear
> Richard
> is very generous with the seed, mine were passed on from someone else who
> ordered them.
> Richard offers scions? I got some hawthorn rootstock in error,
> wonder
> if they would do? I guess mayhaw grafts on them fine. Donna
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM