nafex - [nafex] Book Review

  • From: "crmauch" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Book Review
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:21:32 -0000

"The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist" by Michael
Phillips.

I picked this up at my local library. I feel its a good book, and
did learn a few things from it, I'm not sure I'm going to acquire it
for my permanent library. My frustration with it stems from not
being able to apply many of the techniques to my personal situation
(suburban home fruit grower), but I have many of the same
frustrations with standard IPM.

The book does seem to take an evenhanded approach (may too
accepting?) to different techniques. The author is a completely
organic grower, but does not cast stones at IPM or low spray growers.

Worth a read, particularly if you do want to be or are growing apples
organically.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM