nafex - Re: [nafex] mystery fruit/viburnam

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] mystery fruit/viburnam
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:20:25 +0000

First viburnam was suggested, after 100 urls I couldn't find any with pics
to help differentiate the species. Then Black Haw....viburnam prunifolia.
I'd give it 80% likelihood. Found one url with a pic.
Another url<http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictures/sf-z-08.html>listed
viburnam opulus & v. trilobum as black haw, but most showed prunifolia as
it.
Black Haw sure had lots of medicinal references. At this time I'll look at
the native plants as being of value on their own, not as a grafting stock.
Thanks for the help! Here is a site I ran onto of Canadian growing of v.
trilobum and its uses, I hope to get in a hundred or so of them in wet
areas.< http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/fruit/bli01s00.html>
And a site of choices for growing in wet areas
<http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod03/03900054.html>
I'm glad this free photo site works, makes it easier than using nafex/yahoo.
I saw both spellings - viburnam and viburnum - anyone know?
One common name was SLOE. Any relation to sloe gin?
Anyone out there use v. prunifolia?

Del Stubbs
ag zone 2/3
Pinewood Forge