nafex - Re: [nafex] mycorrhizal fungi?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] mycorrhizal fungi?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:12:42 -0500

del stubbs wrote:

> Gianni, I'm interested in the myco propagation subject. If
> it lives on/with living roots... I would think it would
> take living roots to propagate it. I would think that
> 'dead' bark would only propagate the non-desirable type
> (unattached). That one would have to grow, say, an apple
> tree with it on the roots. Then dig up the small tree and
> scrape? the roots? Is my thinking way off? Del

Hi Del,

You are correct, the mycorrhizal fungi has to be attached to
living roots. They are currently researching ways to grow
it in agar, but that is not perfected yet.

However, the most common way of growing mycorrhizal fungi is
in potted culture. Basicaly you inoculate a plant with
mycorrhizal fungi, put it in a plant pot, and when the plant
matures and fills the pot with roots, you can use all the
soil, and roots in that pot as inoculant for other plants.
Just a matter of knocking soil off the plant, trimming it's
roots and repotting it to grow more mycorrhizal fungi in
that pot.

According to what I have read there will be mycorrhizal
fungi spores in the soil, but the fungi roots, and plant
roots will also serve as inoculant.

I was lucky enough to get some information from a Canadian
scientist who is working with mycorrhizal fungi, and he
instructs me that leeks are the best host plant in potted
myco. culture. He states "Reasons are that this plant
(leeks) can grow several years if you cut the leaves
regularly and do not let it produce flowers, it has very
few pathogens that attack it and it is very sensitive to
mycorrhizal colonization. Usually, colonized roots show a
yellow pigmentation which help in detecting colonization".

So all you have to do is keep some inoculated leeks growing
in pots, and when you need some mycorrhizal fungi just knock
the plant from its pot, collect some soil, prune some roots,
re-pot it and you have an unending supply of fungi.

But you need living plants for the process. Even if the
leek dies you will still have spores in the soil just
waiting for an opportunity to grow.

Quite a learning experience today.

Later,
Tom