nafex - Re: [nafex] Fairy rings bad?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fairy rings bad?
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:27:12 -0500

Hi,

Fairy rings start from a central point, and move outwards.
As they grow they strip the soil of nutrients.

In the begining the grass will die in the center of the
fairy ring, for lack of nutients. The ring will then get
bigger stripping nutrients as it expands. Over time the
center of the fairly ring will once again support grass as
nutients return to the soil.

>From what I know the leading edge of the ring releases
"something" that helps break down the nutrients in the soil,
and the grass on that leading edge will look healthier and
greener until the fungas reaches it and strips the soil
nutrients and kills the grass.

I imagine that other plants than sod will be similarly
affected.

Evidently there are two types of mycorrhizal fungi. One is
tethered to a plant root and lives in symbiosis with the
plant, improving the plant. The untethered types live on
their own and strip soil of nutrients.

Later,
Tom

--