nafex - Re: [nafex] raisin tree

  • From: Suzi Teghtmeyer <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] raisin tree
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:49:35 -0600

Robert,
The book below has the chapter: Rasin Tree (Hovenia dulcis): Candied Fruit
for the Picking, page 95-99; IN: Uncommon fruits worthy of attention: a
gardener's guide / Lee Reich ; illustrations by Vicki Herzfeld Arlein.
Nice treatise on the raisin tree, but no directions on how to make tree
honey. My Chinese colleagues here at the Station don't know, either.

-----Suzi Teghtmeyer

At 04:18 PM 11/30/2001 +0000, Robert H. wrote:
>You know all this talk about odd trees and their fruit reminded me of
>one I tasted 2 months ago. Just like the shipova (Pyrus x Sorbus). I
>always heard it wasent anything to get excited about; at most it was
>just a novelty to tease your friends. But I went to a fellow member's
>orchard (Lester Davis)a while back and he had one with its "fruit"
>falling around everywhere. When I came back home a tried it, I was
>quite surprized how tasty it was (or at least as a novelty). Beyond
>the fact that it is a very odd looking fruit; not something that I
>would look at and want to eat. It looks like dryed worms, and that its
>kinda dry, chewy like a fruit leather, I found the taste to be quite
>nice. Very honey sweet almost tangy. One friend said it was like wine
>grape raisin, but I found it the same but leaning toward a sweet
>potatao flavor.
>
>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had done anything with this fruit.
>It seems like it could make a nice tart. Im read that there is a drink
>called "tree honey" made from it. I cant find any recipe.
>
>Anyone would like to share there thoughts (or recipes) on it?

Head Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit
Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646, email: srt175f@smsu.edu
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!