nafex - [nafex] Repair grafting question

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Repair grafting question
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:56:03 -0500

Hello,

I was just thinking about the damage I had to repair last
spring done by rabbits girdling trees and I had a thought.

I have seen branches used for bridging girdling damage, but
I wonder if bark strips, taken from the same tree, when the
bark is slipping, would not be easier to work with.

Imagine you have a 4-5" diameter tree that has been girdled
at the base. If you lifted bark strips 1/2" wide and as
long as necessary to bridge the damage, would it work, and
be easier than working with arcing branches across the gap?
Also, would it heal faster as you are not introducing any
foriegn plant material?

I have drawn a simple diagram;

Lift 4 strips from around the tree above the damage and seal
the wounds, then trim and fit bark strips to bridge the gap.

Has anyone tried this? You would would not have to fight
the tension created by arching branches, as bark strips
would lay flat to the trunk.

Just daydreaming of spring damage which is inevitable.

Later,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada

StartMeUp jump starts your car's battery
using only the cigarette lighter.
$24.95 at Youcansave.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k4tJlC/LTTDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM