nafex - [nafex] Storage of pesticides

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Storage of pesticides
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:00:01 -0400

Hi all:

Please excuse the fact that I, and my ISP, were off-line for a while.
We had some very high winds go through the area and it knocked out
power. That probably explains the bounced messages.

An item came up during the bad weather that merits posting to the list.
One of our barns collapsed in the high wind. It was the barn I stored
my pesticides in. I stored them on a high shelf in Tupperware like
containers. The combination of cold temps and falling two-by-sixes
crushed the containers. Lumps of wetted pesticide were found 50' and
75' ( 15m-to-25m) from the foundation of the barn. I told the local
fire department what I had when they showed up. They helped me locate
them and dispose of them.

They also requested the name of my insurance company. I am pretty sure
they intend to bill them for a "toxic waste" spill. I do not know if my
insurance company will cover it. Time will tell.

So, the bottom line is that toxic chemicals should be secured in locked
metal cabinets like a gun safe. Anything less secure will get shredded.
It might save you an expensive and potentially hazardous experience.

Best regards, Joe
--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan

I fish because I love to;
because I love the environs where trout are found,
which are invariably beautiful
... because trout do not lie or cheat
and cannot be bought or bribed
or impressed by power,