nafex - Re: [nafex] Storage of pesticides

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Storage of pesticides
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:09:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

An old chest freezer which opens from the top is a very good storage item
for pesticide.

They are all steel outside, have a tub inside that will catch leaks, and
have safety locks to keep people out.

You can always add a hasp and padlock to make them even more secure.

Once the compressor is shot, you can get these babies for free.

Later,
Tom

--

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Joe and Ellen Hecksel wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Please excuse the fact that I, and my ISP, were off-line for a while.
> We had some very high winds go through the area and it knocked out
> power. That probably explains the bounced messages.
>
> An item came up during the bad weather that merits posting to the list.
> One of our barns collapsed in the high wind. It was the barn I stored
> my pesticides in. I stored them on a high shelf in Tupperware like
> containers. The combination of cold temps and falling two-by-sixes
> crushed the containers. Lumps of wetted pesticide were found 50' and
> 75' ( 15m-to-25m) from the foundation of the barn. I told the local
> fire department what I had when they showed up. They helped me locate
> them and dispose of them.
>
> They also requested the name of my insurance company. I am pretty sure
> they intend to bill them for a "toxic waste" spill. I do not know if my
> insurance company will cover it. Time will tell.
>
> So, the bottom line is that toxic chemicals should be secured in locked
> metal cabinets like a gun safe. Anything less secure will get shredded.
> It might save you an expensive and potentially hazardous experience.
>
> Best regards, Joe
> --
>
> -Joe Hecksel
> Eaton Rapids, Michigan
> http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel
>
> I fish because I love to;
> because I love the environs where trout are found,
> which are invariably beautiful
> ... because trout do not lie or cheat
> and cannot be bought or bribed
> or impressed by power,
> but respond only to
> quietude
> and humility
> and endless patience...
>
> -John Voelker (aka Robert Traver)
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM