nafex - RE: [RibesNAFEX] Mulching new currants

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: RibesNAFEX@topica.com
  • Subject: RE: [RibesNAFEX] Mulching new currants
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 10:11:36 EDT

Hi all,
Ed, your rows are 6-8 ft. apart.  How wide are the beds?  And you say
you plant the cuttings through black plastic in Fall.  How wide is the
black plastic?   How for appart the cuttings (~3"?)
Thanks for the info. Dennis

I will reply to these questions separately:  Beds for new rows are 5 feet wide at time of preparation and planting. I do not stick the cuttings in these rows, I use "nursery beds" for that.  I often plant vegetables or even strawberries along the new rows of currants, this can be done for a couple years before the currants spread to full size.
I use a 5 hp rototiller along the rows to keep the weeds and grass down.

The "nursery rows" are applied with rotted leaves and manure, well tilled, and hilled up to a raised bed about 3 feet wide. I cover this with a thin black plastic, 4 feet wide.
This plastic is meant to be there for one year only.

The cuttings are stuck through the plastic in rows about 6 in appart and about 6 in between plants in the row.  I find that this tends to make the plants grow more upright and not spread quite as much.

Ed
Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857