nafex - Re: Introduction of Member of the Hobby and Small Scale Ribes Production List

  • From: "Marc Geens" <stekelbes@tijd.com>
  • To: <CCE-RIBES-HOMEOWNERS-L@cornell.edu> (CCE-RIBES-HOMEOWNERS-L)
  • Subject: Re: Introduction of Member of the Hobby and Small Scale Ribes Production List
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:12:19 +0200

Debby,

I am also subscribes to this list, mainly because I (try to) instruct people
(adults) how to grow small fruits. In most cases it are gardening clubs who
invite me in... Personally I am mainly interested in organic growing of
small fruits. For that reason we (my wife and me) collect varieties and test
them for a few years to evaluate them for possibilities for home gardening
and commercial organic growing.
When you like sweeter Red currant berries you should try Junifer. It is a
very early variety (even a few days earlier than Jonkheer van Tets) but is
very sweet (for a red currant). When the rest of your family likes sweet
berries you should look at gooseberries and if you do not like the spines
look for a varieties as Captivator or Spinefree. The OT126 from the NCGR is
also a winner on our 'testing ground'.
My personal favorit for home growing red currant is Rotet (less prone to
disease and rain damage), followed by Rovada. For taste I choose Junifer or
white currants...
Concerning the suckers, it is most probably a combination of a nursery and
planting mistake. It is recommended not to plant the bush any deeper than it
has been planted in the nursery as to avoid the development of root suckers.
We always grow our red currants as cordons (originally triple cordons, but
the recent planting was done as single cordons). We grow the varieties
ourselves (if not patented) and then remove all the buds from the part that
goes into the ground, as to avoid the development of suckers. before we
started to grow red currants as cordons we grew them as bushes on a short
stem (also to prevent suckers and to keep the branches awuy from the soil,
as the lower berries were dirty and were lost...).

Regards

Marc

Stekelbes 'Proef'tuin
p/a. Marc Geens