nafex - Re: [RibesNAFEX] Mulching new currants

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: RibesNAFEX@topica.com
  • Subject: Re: [RibesNAFEX] Mulching new currants
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:47:35 EDT

Tom, why remove the mulch in the spring???  It will help hold moisture, stabalize the temperature at the roots and will suppress some weeds. I do not think that this is too much mulch, most of my new plantings are year old plants, then I place about 4 to 6 inches of year old leaves around the plants, the following spring, (if I can get to it) I add another 4 to 6 in of leaves. My planting is in rows with approx 30 in between plants and the rows are spaced about 6 to 8 feet apart, I mow the grass between the rows.

Ed
Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857